Sunday, May 22, 2011

Leftneck

I'm a Leftneck, and darned proud of it!  Finally, after today's reading, I can describe my political viewpoint in one word!  That's no big deal to those of you who happen to be Dems or Repubs.  And even Inds and Libs have had one word that sorta describes their bias for quite a while. 

That is one luxury I have yearned for with all my being for the last twenty years.  A person will ask in in passing just how I view things in life, and it usually takes me half an hour to explain.  Now, when asked, I can proclaim "I'm a Leftneck" and let it go at that.

I know what you're gonna say.  "What the heck is a Leftneck?"  Well, there's a guy, Morris Berman, who has summed it up much better that I ever could.  http://morrisberman.blogspot.com/

Be happy for me; I now have a word that fits.

Update.  Morris has written much more since I posted the link to his site.  You now will have to enter the word "leftneck" in the search space at the upper left on his page to discover my political view.  What a treasure hunt!  Yes?

2 comments:

  1. Forrest, congrats on finding your word.

    It seemed to me that there were more leftnecks around in the '50s and '60s than now -- a lot of union men, but not just them. They would have called themselves moderates and been kinda iffy on civil rights and gay marriage? Not even on their radar.

    But they were Great Depression survivors, mainly; they knew that gov't programs for redistributing $$$ had helped them when nothing else would, and would help them. They didn't trust Republicans or big business.

    I don't know what happened to them. But there are not so many any more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You nailed it, Boomer. I've always claimed to be an anachronism. I'm totally out of touch with, and cannot understand most of what I see in this century. I care deeply about what is happening to my fellow travelers, but can't seem to do anything except get mad about it. I have no hope things will get better for the majority of blind followers of the TV. There appears to be no chance of change without rioting and insanity, and besides, the couch is rather comfortable.

    I don't think the working class will wind up eating the Eloi, it's the other way around. H G Wells was wrong.

    You've correctly pointed out I would feel more comfortable in the 50's or 60's. Fonzie and Richie seem to be more my kinda guys.

    ReplyDelete