Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Visitors

Forty years ago I moved from California to the Tacoma area of Washington state.  The day we moved in I saw people, whom I later learned were my neighbors, sweeping our driveway and the sidewalks in front of our house.  I guess the realtor told them to expect us but I'll never know for sure how they found out we were coming.  That was my first introduction to the nice people who live in the Pacific Northwest part of this country and I'll never forget it.

 I have written a little about some of the things that caught my attention since moving to this area and I think it's time I mentioned some of the people we've met .  I'm gonna mix up some names here so if one of you just happens to be my neighbor, I did it to protect the innocent.

The visitors started to arrive even before we moved in.  The house is 12 years old and needed some fixing up.  I took my time painting, tearing out linoleum and replacing it with tile, having new carpets laid and just making it ours.  During this time Gena came by with a loaf of freshly baked bread to introduce herself and warn us she and Carl have three young daughters.  Bobbie and Bob from across the street stopped in to say hi.  Bart was working in his garage and quit his project to walk over and offer any assistance he could give. 

After Carolyn joined me Judy made an impression with the still warm Christmas candy she brought and Katy and Gary delivered some fudge.  Later that week Gary stopped by to borrow my snow shovel and before I knew it he and Katy had shoveled his walkway and ours!  This morning, Betty came to visit Carolyn and we exchanged phone numbers. 

These neighbors seem to be pleasant, well mannered and educated folks.  I was a bit concerned about moving Carolyn away from friends who knew her to be a kind, playful and intellegent woman before the disease disabled her and feared dropping her in among people who would never know the wonderful woman who was considerate enough to become my bride, but this fear has proven to be unwarranted.  Everyone seems to understand her mind is relatively unaffected and that it is just really hard for her to speak and move.


I think we will enjoy this town and our new neighbors.  Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment