Friday, March 18, 2011

They're Rioting in Africa

Well, let's see.  The world has survived another week, thank Goodness.  There are 1,580,000 more souls on the planet than there were last Friday.  Wisconsinites finally managed to find a judge willing to slow down the BS in that state until it could be done, or not done, in a legal manner.

Saudi Arabia is killing it's citizens and those of Bahrain and Yemen is doing the same to it's folks. Which is OK, so long as your name is not Kadaffyduck.  If your name is Kadaffyduck we'll bomb you for doing that.  Karzai  says his country has been patient but will we please just go home?  Japan is ready to explode, figuratively and literally. 

The Chinese are buying all the Iodine pills, Health Care costs too much so we have to take it away from the poor.  Egyptians are losing the war after winning the fight and the Israelis are poking the Palestinians with a sharp housing stick. 

Inflation in this country is starting to scream, veggies up almost 50% over last year.  That's OK - I guess I'll just eat cake.  That worked out well in 1789.  The weather is crazy, last week, temps in the fifties and sixties - right now I have a inch of snow on the ground.  Nuts, I tell you, NUTS. 

If I were Sheldon Harnick, I'd write a song.  I'd get The Kingston Trio to sing it, get rich and buy a whole island somewhere in the middle of the Society Islands.  My wife and I would live there with no TV, no computer and no telephone.  Of course we'd have blenders and a CD player.  A guy needs his Daiquiris and music in the South Seas.

The news is terrible and it's coming at everyone faster than a RPG.  I need a break.  We all do.  I'm gonna spend more time with my wife for awhile and less in front of the news and computer.  We're gonna disappear for the weekend.  See ya Monday.  Cap'n Kirk out.

3 comments:

  1. So really, what's the difference in the world between today and 1950? CNN. They are there to sell you something to worry about.

    In 1950, an earthquake and tsunami in a foreign land with 20,000 dead would make a small byline in the newspaper or a mention from Walter Cronkite that something strange had happened overseas and a reporter will file a report from there next week if someone can get there to see it.

    Today, CNN grabs video and photos, then puts representatives that are opposed to something on there to discuss it so you'll have something to worry about. Once you put it in perspective and shut off the TV news, the world becomes much less worrisome. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Morning, Jeff. You're absolutely correct. Ted Turner was smart enough to go sail his yacht while the reat of us cowered in front of the TV mesmorized by the doom and gloomy news he brought into our living rooms. I managed to avoid most of it this weekend and feel mucho better. Oh, before I forget - Am I gonna die from radiation poisioning tomorrow? I haven't seen the news yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really don't wanna know. :o)

    ReplyDelete