Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Found It!

It's really hard for me to stay on track.  Some folks call that Adult Attention Deficit Disorder but I prefer to say I get distracted.  So many things interest me that I hate to spend a lot of time on any one of them for a prolonged period.  I'll be in the middle of preparing my tax returns when a peculiar insect will make itself present on the other side of the window above my desk.  That is something I must investigate at once.  If I wait til I reach a stopping point, it may have disappeared and it might take another 66 years before it's twin reappears in my life.  I can't wait that long.   

Now I know what you're thinking.  "Why don't you just move the desk or close the blinds?"  Of course, you're right.  That would work in the example I just gave but what about when I'm driving to the store and on the way I see a really interesting outcropping of rocks?  That's happened lots of times and again I must investigate.  Or, maybe I'll just pull over and write a sticky note to tell myself to come back.  Please don't tell me to close the blinds while I'm doing 65MPH.  I don't think that'll work more than once.

Usually these little distractions manage to occur wthout causing severe turmoil in my life, and somehow I muddle through them and accomplish my original goal.  Sometimes, though, these distractions cause silly little things to ripple through my life for several days or even weeks.  Have you ever done something really smart only to later discover it was a dumb thing to do?  I shoot myself so often in so many ways I now use rubber bullets.  Hospital stays are very much less expensive if they do not involve holes in your body.  The usual cause of the smart/dumb things I do is distraction.

A perfect example of a little smart/dumb thing is The Salt Shaker.  I've been known to fill the salt shaker, set the lid on top of it without twisting it into place and then stop and put the salt away.  That's smart, putting away the salt, isn't it?  Meanwhile something else happens that grabs my attention and I wind up with a plate full of salt at the next meal time.

For almost a week now, I have been dealing with a BIG smart/dumb action.  The kind  that keeps bugging me till it's over.  You see, I lost my drill and that's a real bother.  I love that drill.  It fits my hand and together it and I have created many holes.  I can look around my house and see a ton of them, and every time I have looked at one this last week I've wondered where the drill is hiding.  Maybe I'm suffering ADD and obsessive/compulsive behavior.  Ya think maybe I'm a basket case and can claim some kinda disability on my taxes?

Today I decided to go ahead and replace a balky garage door opener.  I bought the new one a couple of weeks ago and opened it up to make some measurements to be sure of the fit.   Since the floor of the garage was a mess at the time, I did the smart thing and gathered up all the tools I would need, placed them in the box and closed it up until I could clear the floor.  I opened the box today to start the installation.

I found my drill.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! And you didn't even have to buy a new drill for the old one to re-appear. That's awesome... and so much better than I ever do. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning, Jeff. Now if I can only get the red blinking light on the Safety-Beam to line up and quit flashing I'll be good to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you are not alone in these attention scattering sessions. It's all that extra time we have, thinking we can get back to something anytime we want.

    Or, we are just getting too old to remember to do everything just so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, you "put it someplace convenient" and then forgot that you did it. And looked for it where it was the _last_ time you found it. If I had a dollar for every time I did that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosaria - I'm thinking of forming a club. I'm gonna recruit this guy to be Prez. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObpcwobhlC0

    Boomer -I'll settle for pennies and nickles. They're now worth 2 cents and 7 cents apiece! Heck with that folding stuff - it's just paper.

    ReplyDelete