Thursday, July 28, 2011

New Gear

Well, I finally did it.  We went to Best Buy and bought a bunch of stuff.   A new computer, a Blu-Ray, cables, router, monitor and God only knows what else.  Now all the stuff is sitting in boxes out of harms way on the small couch in our living room.

One of these days, my helper and I will figure out how to hook up all this junk.  That's my helper, Muffy, sitting next to all the boxes.  It's easy to tell, from the puzzled look on his face, he's already tried to read the instruction manual that came with the router.

I told him to start with that item 'cause I've used a router for most of my adult life.   In fact, I have a great Craftsman Router in my garage which I last used when making an oak shelf to put on the bathroom wall, which we used to hold a bunch of pill bottles.  It worked great.

I mentioned this to the salesman when he told me I needed a new router so I could get "streaming movies" on my TV, three rooms and four walls away from the office where my computer is located, but he just got a puzzled look on his face - much like Muffy.  He said I still needed to buy a new one.  Must be he wants me to have one hooked up to something or other in the boxes and still have one available in the garage.  Since I'm a totally wealthy guy (not), I guess it's OK to have two of them - I have eleven hammers, ya know, and that's a fact I've discussed before.  Guess I'll just have to show both of them, the salesman and Muffy, how to insert the bit and tear into a piece of wood.  Us old guys have been around the block a couple of times.

After I've shown everyone how to use the router, I'm gonna depend on Muffy to demonstrate the correct way to hook up the computer.  I'm not looking forward to that chore and I'll tell you why.  It's because I have not one clue which wire goes where.  Last time I bought a computer I was still a working stiff and knew a couple of IT types who were forty years younger, made more money than I ever dreamed of doing at their age, and who were more than willing to help a crotchety old geezer get with it.  Those kids were great, and since Muffy is the youngster in this house these days, the job has fallen on his shoulders - all four of them. 

Between us, I suspect we'll have it up and working in about thirty days or so.  Then, there's the Blu-Ray to deal with.  I have some experience with Stingrays, mostly vintage 1963, so maybe I can draw on that.  As long as it has a key and four speed transmission, I'll do just fine. 

The sales guy told me it was a breeze.  Just plug in some sort of cable - he had a special name for it, but that name slips my mind now, and follow the instructions on the screen.  I'm a little confused about that 'cause the only screen on the Stingray was the oil screen, and it was pretty hard to get to.  Had to unbolt the pan. 

Hey!  I just remembered!  I think he said it was a HEMI cable.  Maybe that's why the whole set up cost less than a thousand bucks.  Stingrays came with Chevy engines in them and a Hemi is a Chrysler.  Only way those cars are worth anything at all is if the engine and body numbers match.  Now that I think about it, I probably paid too much.

I'm gonna get this done.  I've thought about it a while, and with all my experience with woodworking tools and automobiles, I probably have just exactly what it takes to do this thing.  JR, I'm gonna make you proud!

What can possibly go wrong?

4 comments:

  1. When I first started to read, I was so envious: you will be able to stream Neflix before me! But now, I'm thinkin' -- Nah. Please do report on your progress and how many of the eleven hammers you end up using to put the final touches on the arrangement. (We use a sledgehammer here for finish work.) Can't believe no one commented on previous post. Hmph. Guess we'll see what happens next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - I don't have a clue either but maybe you should have the "Geek Squad" install all this for you. Good luck I know you can do it - eventually. By the way "streaming" Netflix is great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. B L - I got several comments by PM. Most mentioned, as yours did, waste and fraud. My answer? Enforce the laws that are already on the books. I'm sure there are a couple dealing with fraud. My personal finishing tool of choice is a four pound maul. Much easier on the wrists than a sledge, but I promise to let you know the proper hammer to use on the computer stuff soon as I figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Pam. Geek squad? Not necessary. I've been called, among other things, a Geek most of my life. I think the meaning of that word must have changed recently, much as crystal now refers to some sort of drug.

    No, it's me or Brian or nothing. And, I'm sorta getting used to the boxes on the couch. They add a little color to the room.

    ReplyDelete