Saturday, July 30, 2011

I'm back

We had an emergency around this joint the other day which required me to leave very suddenly.  It was important that I got on my way as quickly as possible, which meant I needed to leave Carolyn on her own for twenty minutes or so before her sister could take over her care.  After calling to make sure help for her was on the way, I departed. 

A neighbor noticed my haste, and came running, asking if there was anything he could do to help.  With no time to explain, I called over my shoulder, "Carolyn's sister is on her way."   Late the following day, when I was able to return home, I found that five of our good neighbors had pitched in.

Carolyn did not have to spend even one minute unattended and both she and her sister were treated to a  home cooked dinner, prepared in a neighbor's kitchen, while I was gone. 

I have spoken before of people I have known in the Pacific Northwest while living south of Seattle during an earlier period of my life.  I told of their kindness, generosity, and of my amazement at the effort they were willing to expend helping their neighbors.  I have also spoken of the people in our present neighborhood.  I have found them to be pleasant, intelligent and helpful to us, newcomers that we are.  Until last Thursday morning, I did not realize just how fortunate we are to have found this home.

Carolyn and I live in a place filled with kind, considerate and generous folks.  They are willing to help, and will disrupt their lives in an instant to lend a hand to a neighbor in need.  I wish everyone in the world could experience a life among friends, as we enjoy; it's good for the soul. 

To all who accompany Carolyn and I on this journey I say "Thanks".  To all who were there Thursday morning I say, "Many thanks, you saved the day."

5 comments:

  1. Rhumba once went up to Seattle without me, some years back. And she was trying to drive to someone's house, but was thoroughly lost. So while she was pulled over to the curb to look at a map, in a bad neighborhood no less, an old car pulled up and the people inside asked her where she needed to go. She told them, and they said "We'll lead you." And they drove ahead of her all the way there, several miles.

    You don't get that down here. You're lucky to have such fine neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're indeed fortunate to have such great neighbors, Forrest. It was good to read about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boomer. I've lived in a lot of places but the Pacific Northwest is filled with the finest folks you'd ever want to depend upon. The attitude is contagious; one soon finds he's just as willing to help. More to you about this by e-mail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I really enjoyed it when I lived in that neck of the woods. I don't know that I'll ever move back, but I still miss the people and the attitude there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply the best. After many years Los Alamos was filled with family. After only a few months this place already is filled with friends.

    ReplyDelete