Sunday, April 24, 2011

Polynesia

We took a journey of about twenty miles this evening, and after parking the Guzzler,  found ourselves in the Polynesian Islands.  The truth of the matter is the Guzzler was parked in the parking lot of Bend High School and, after a short walk from it to the HS auditorium, we were treated to a fantastic troupe of Polynesian dancers and drummers. 

The trip started at a neighbors place several weeks ago.  We were visiting with them when their daughters boyfriend rushed in with a bunch of tickets to the show.  He gave the neighbors the tickets they had purchased earlier and sat down to wait for the daughter to finish dressing. 

I've never understood that part, waiting for the female to arrive.  I've always thought punctuality showed respect for the person being met or entertained, and waiting for my date used to upset me while I was in high school. In fact, I have been known to ask the parents of several young ladies to tell their daughter to forget about the date and walk out after waiting more than fifteen minutes or so.   Age, and having to wait many, many times in my life, has tempered that feeling somewhat, but I am still annoyed every time it happens.  In this case, however, Zack having to wait was a Godsend.

We were introduced to him and were told of his involvement with a local group of dancers.  The tickets he had in his hands, it was explained, were to a benefit performance.  I was intrigued and asked about the group.  Turns out his father learned to drum in his native islands before coming to this country and once here,  missed the ceremonies and the drums.  He and his two sisters, who were dancers, formed the company, recruited members, and taught them to drum and dance.  After several decades, the company now boasts more than seventy dancers and drummers.  We bought tickets to the show.

It was a good thing Carolyn rested most of the day so she could better enjoy the evenings activity.  The show lasted well over two hours, and we enjoyed every minute of it!  What's not to like about seeing dancers of all ages, grandmothers to toddlers, gyrating to the wonderful rhythms of Polynesian drums?  Women doing Hulas, the men doing Samoan War Chants, colorful costumes, comedy routines and so much more was presented on that stage last night.  It was a feast for all the senses!

The show was to raise funds to allow the group to travel to San Fransisco later this year to compete in a national competition of Polynesian Dancers.  I'm betting they will do well.  Who would ever have imagined this small town would be home to a world class bunch like this?  I'm amazed.

Better in person, but here they are!  (At least a few of the seventy) 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-6KooVP4LU

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Every bit as good as the shows I've seen at the Luaus I've been to in Hawaii. I'll bet it was a great show and wonderful entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Jeff, the best I've seen on the mainland. Everyday I find something in this town that is completely unexpected!

    ReplyDelete