Monday, April 11, 2011

Lawn Care

Mowed the lawn today.  It's been almost two decades since I can claim to have done that and it feels pretty darned good to say it.  I just may say it again.  Louder.  I MOWED THE LAWN TODAY!  There.  That even looks better, as does the lawn after today's trim.

The mower has been started and used several times a year during my vacation from mowing lawns, but it was used to overcome weeds, not grass.  My New Mexico landscape consisted in native vegetation, which really means any form of weed that could push it's way through gravel covered soil, baked into an adobe-like brick, was allowed to grow.  No sissy, green, spindly, manicured grass was given permission to exist.  Took too much water.  What was out around the house was tamed only by strategically placed rock walk ways and Round Up.  I used lots of Round Up cause thorny stuff like native grasses and yucca need a lot of taming.

Yucca.  Now that's an interesting plant in that it always comes with the Yucca Moth.  Did you know that only a Yucca Moth can pollinate a Yucca plant?  It's true.  Nothing else will get the job done.  This behavior is called "obligate mutualism"  and refers to a relationship where one spices is TOTALLY dependent on the other.  Only these Moths can pollinate the Yucca and they lay their eggs among the seeds.  After hatching, the moth larva eat only Yucca seeds.  If one species were to suddenly vanish, the other would soon follow.  Sort of like Americans and cars.  We absolutely refuse to ride bikes or trains or buses to the store so we'd starve if we didn't have cars.  And who'd make the cars if we starved?  Everybody else in the world knows how to walk or ride something else.

I have knowledge of this esoteric fact only because it is expected that I know something of the weeds in my landscaping.  To get away with having nothing but a bunch of weeds in your lawn area socially, you must be able to name them and give an enquiring guest a little information about which ever one of them piques his interest. Understand, all my buddies know they're just a bunch of weeds, but casual aquaintances have no clue, and appearances really do matter.  My weed turns into a plant only if I know it's name.  And, by extension, I turn into a caring environmentalist instead of a lazy slob who doesn't take care of his lawn.  It's amazing what a little knowledge can do to one's station in life.

Occasionally, no matter how much herbicide I used, the only way to open the front door was to mow the mess.  Take it down to the ground.  Well, at least down to about four inches off the ground 'cause that's about as close as I could get without breaking the mower blades on the rocks the pocket gophers threw out of their burrows as they enlarged their dens.  Everyone thinks of New Mexico as a barren, desert wasteland but, let me tell you, it's a war zone of competing life forms, and I'm not real sure humans stand even a fair chance of winning that battle.  For sure it's hard on mowers. 

Take, for instance, my mower.  Before I used it today, I cleared the area under the deck of caked on dirt and associated embedded weeds, removed, sharpened, and reinstalled the blade,  then washed the top areas and added oil.  I drained all of last years gas and added a fresh tankful.  I then pushed the priming plunger three times and pulled the cord.  It started on the second pull!.  No trip to the mower shop this year.  Then it started to surge. 

You know.  It ran, then missed a couple of strokes and then ran and missed some more.  Master mechanic and ruler of all things made of metal that I am, I knew to first look at the air filter.  Sure enough, it was full of New Mexico dirt and dust.  I cleaned and reinstalled the filter and tried again.  It ran like a champ. An hour later the lawn was done.  Tomorrow I'll try out the edger. 

Not much chance of anything going wrong with it.  It has a motor instead of an engine. 





 
.

5 comments:

  1. I don't have the same problem you had here in NM. The pocket gophers in my yard pretty much eat everything except the native grasses, yucca, cactus, and trees from the root side. It's strange to see full-sized Russian sage plants fly out of the ground and down the street in the first stiff winds of spring. Hint: plant plenty of chives to attract these subterrainian mowers - cleanses thier palates for the really tough stuff. I'd use a rodentator but then I'd have to get a mower. Once a year with a weed whacker to knock off the seed stalks on the grass is all I need to do.

    Send rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Morning, Jay. The little critters in Los Alamos were acutally moles, not ground squirrels, and they were pretty good at eating roots. Folks in that town idolized them, and about the only way to clear them from a yard was to have them trapped and removed by the "Critter Getter." A great way to part with some cash, but not real effective at controling the amnimal population. The neighbors moles would be happy to assume residency in the vacant tunnels.

    Sure wish I could help with the rain. If I were able, I'd send our cloudy skies your way. We're really missing the crystal clear, electric blue NM skies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Down in WR where I live I'm pretty sure it was a pocket gopher. One of the little SOBs made the mistake of popping up near where I'd been leaning on my shovel late in the day staring at what used to be a garden. After I laid him out, I was able to take my time to study him :-). Up in Los Alamos you prolly had uptown vermin like moles. I'm still tempted to call in a rodentator to blow up all the burrows at once. Even if they all left in anticipation, it'd still be sastisfying to watch the yard raise up and inch or two then collapse into their former homes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jay. I tip my hat to you! The head speed of any shovel capable of whacking a gopher before he can duck needs to be measured in Mach units. Lets go into business. If you'll trade your shovel for a golf club, I'll dig a bunch of gold from the mine in Barely There and sponsor you on the tour. Deal?

    Also, I defer to your more complete inspection of the little varmit, and will reclassify the beasts I engaged in my yard. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I cheated. Forgot to mention that my dog had been digging like mad at what I guess was the middle of the burrow about 5 feet away. The critter wasn't very fast, either, maybe it was sick or just confused. I suck at golf, so you'll have to include the dog in any deal.

    ReplyDelete