Sunday, February 20, 2011

Starting Time!

We have cold beer on ice, a new flat screen on the wall and lap trays to hold the chips and dip - we're ready in this house so...........Gentlemen, START YOUR ENGINES!

A new season of stock car legends will start the Daytona 500 today and it can't come soon enough for me.  I'm tired of quiet and peaceful Sunday afternoons.  Give me some engine noise and an announcer with a Southern accent and this Alabama born wanna be moonshiner is in heaven.  My Dad and I used to sit together and root for Dale when I was able to make it home for a week or so.  Both of them are gone now but the tradition lives on.  Dale, Jr. is on the track and Forrest, Jr. is in the armchair.  All is right with the world.

I hope I have a little more luck than Dale, Jr.  In case you haven't heard, he was the fastest in practice, the fastest qualifier, won the pole position and then was sent to the back of the pack when he crashed the car he used to qualify and had to go to his back up ride.  If I follow his lead the chair will be missing an arm and I'll wind up underneath it in the wreck.  Maybe I should start rooting for Jimmy if I want Dale to win.  I know my undying loyalty to the Oakland Raiders has not helped them to win a Superbowl in the last 27 years.  I can still remember the glory days with Daryle or Kenny at the helm, Jim snapping the ball and Fred catching it.  George was always around to help out.  Al Davis was a pain even back then but he used to know how to put a team together.     

No matter who wins this race or the championship, I'm going to enjoy this season more than any in the past.  That's because I'm now retired and can afford to spend the three or four hours each week it takes to watch the race.  No more rushing around to keep the lawn tended, the cars ready and all the million other things a guy has to do around the house.  I won't feel guilty spending that kind of time inside when it's a sunny day.  I can play outside on Monday. 

The world is in a mess.  The wealthy are destroying the country.  The bed of the Gulf of Mexico is covered with oily dispersant's. The politicians are mostly crooks.  Mexico's flooding us with drugs and terrorists.  We're flooding them with assault rifles.  The Canadians are saying "eh" way too much and you can bet that means they're up to no good.  There's not much more oil left and the temperature is rising.  Do we still have to save the whales? 

I believe I have time to fix all this stuff and still squeeze in a couple of hours of watching cars and drivers going round and round in circles.  Ya know, there's a guy down the street that's working on a '62 Oldsmobile.  I've seen it in his garage.  I think I'm gonna pound on his door before race time and invite him over.  One of these days I may find a problem with this world that I can't fix all by myself and if I play my cards just right he may offer to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment