Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Tai Chi

Redmond has a wonderful Senior Center for a town of it's size and the other day we drove by to check it out.  We parked the Guzzler Deluxe in one of the handicap spaces right in front and walked in to an early 70's YMCA decor.  There were hallways that lead to the left and right and an older person was seated at the desk in the office that divided the halls.  We inquired about the activities and were given a pamphlet with several pages listing classes, instruction and outings they sponsored.  Carolyn's eyes sparkled when I read "Tai Chi."

In another lifetime, before Progressive Supranuclear Palsy, Carolyn was a dancer.  She loved to dance and people loved to watch her graceful movements as she performed on stage, in the streets and on ballroom floors.  Not only that, Carolyn taught others to dance, she brought joy to people who came to her for instruction for many years.  It was a delight to watch her twirl, leap and skip to the music, any music, that was in the air.  She was hopeful that Tai Chi, with its slow deliberate movements, was a form of dance she was still capable of doing.  We found a day and time that would work for us and when that time arrived, so did we.

We greeted the instructor and explained a little about her condition.  I told him I would stand behind her and hold her upright as she tried the movements and he was willing to continue.  After the first couple of minutes he had second thoughts.  He said he was certain she could benefit from the exercise but wanted to be sure of her medical abilities.  He asked for her Doctor to approve the class.  We got that approval from her Neurologist last week and were back in class for the full session today.

What a team we made!  I held tight as she wiggled and squirmed.  I could feel the pounds melt off as she climbed the psyhic ladder of Oriental music.  Higher and higher she went and the movements became easier for her.  I struggeled less and less as she took more of her weight.  The effort was a lot for her and toward the end of the hour she became tired.  We rested while the others continued. Although seated and worn out, she glowed.  Even the instructor was smiling.  He could see the positive effect the exercise had  on her.

We will go back and continue to learn this ancient Chinese dance.  I love holding on to her as she moves.  It reminds me of the time we met.  I walked across the room and, saying nothing,  reached for her hand.  She followed me and we started to dance.  The very  first words I spoke to her were "We've danced before.  I recognize your waist."  Those words were spoken so many wonderful years ago as we glided across a dancehall floor.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like a wonderful experience for both of you, and I'm sure it was great for Carolyn, physically, emotionally, and psychologically. She is so lucky that you are there and can devote your time to helping her continue to live her life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, Jeff, I'm lucky to still have her as my dance partner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That too. YOu know you two deserve each other. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Forrest

    I ran across your blog doing an internet search concerning supranuclear palsy and tai chi. I know someone with that condition to whom I'm thinking about teaching seated tai chi. Research has shown that Tai Chi can alleviate all sorts of conditions. I'd like to hear about how your wife does as she continues Tai Chi. My own wife is certified to teach a Tai Chi form that is designed to be health giving. It can be performed seated or standing. I've learned it and hope I can help this person who has difficulty standing. My email is jeffrey555@sbcglobal.net

    Jeff Alexander

    ReplyDelete