Friday, February 25, 2011

Another Dawn

Well, we managed to muddle our way through yesterday's emotional crisis only to suffer a plague of Doctors today.  I'm certain the only folks who are happy about the aging Boomers are all members of the AMA.  I'm mostly glad to contribute my portion towards their retirement and to help to pay off their student loans, but I wish they'd return the favor.  It would really be nice if they'd quit fighting to keep the Social Security cap on income in place....  Nope.  I guess that's a little much to ask of them.

First up today was a visit to the Doctor that fixed my carpal tunnel.  That's not exactly right, it's more like I expected I'd start the day with a visit to the Doc that slit my wrist.  Instead I was greeted by a very pleasant and professional nurse.  She took a look at the huge bump in the middle of my left palm and ordered a bunch of Physical Therapy sessions to ultrasound the evil scar tissue into submission.  Oh goody.  Now I get to spend another five or six hours in the Doctors office next month.  I suppose I should be glad it's not the morgue.  After getting all those appointments lined up so they would not interfere with other Doctor appointments, Tai Chi classes and swimming around the pool, I drove home.

I just barely managed to park the Guzzler and walk through the door before my wife called out.  I walked back to the bedroom and she said her eye was giving her trouble.  I looked and discovered it was swollen and red.  The red eye clashed terribly with her red hair so we had to do something about that at once.  Fashion statements still matter to her.

We've only been in town for three months and had no clue where to go to get an eye fixed.  I suggested we look in the yellow pages for a taxidermist that could pop hers out and put in a glass one that we could be certain would not give any trouble in the future but she shortened that suggestion.  Her version was "Let's just find an eye doctor in the yellow pages."  So we did and to my astonishment we were told to come right down - they'd work us into the schedule. 

After a short wait we met this guy that could have easily been my grandchild.  Turns out he's the doctor and he just happened to be an OUTSTANDING one.  He gazed into my wife's eyes (had he not been a professional I'd have kicked his butt)  and found some eyelashes that were pointed the wrong way.  He plucked them, while I watched the proceedings on a TV monitor, and prescribed medication to help them grow the right way in the future.  Everything was explained to us in plain English without condescension.  If any of my grandsons were a doctor, I'd want him to be just like this guy.

We came back home, ate an early dinner and discussed just what getting older is all about.  We haven't really figured it all out, but we agree doctors play an important role.  We also agree that a lot of it is just being able to last long enough for another day to dawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment