Sunday, February 6, 2011

Double Letters

As Willie Nelson and then Dandy Don used to sing,  "Turn out the lights, the party's over."  Football, 2010-2011, is history and the Green Bay Packers are the champs!

I'm sure you've heard all about it by now, the scores, the catches , the misses and the half time show.  But I'm gonna let you in on a secret.  It's a secret statistic that none of the bookies in the entire world knew about, and I'm gonna let you in on it..

We again made the 40 mile round trip to Sisters, OR where strangely enough, Carolyn's sister lives.  Deanne is Carolyn's sister in Sisters.  Try telling that to someone who is not familiar with Oregon and I guarantee you'll get a quizzical look.  I know it happens to me every time.

Since Deanne is recovering from foot surgery, her husband Richard took over the kitchen duties while I took the day off from kitchen chores in our joint.  He did a great job with the turkey.  We ate and then settled in for an afternoon of mindless football with just enough money on the line to make it interesting. 

Disclaimer: We are not betting - that's illegal.  We rate the merits of the players, stuff like how well they are dressed,  what good sports they are and how nice they appear to be to their team mates.  That sort of thing.  Then we decide which of us did the better job of chosing the good attributes and that person is declared the winner. The winner is paid by the loser for doing such an excellent job picking the nicest and best behaved guys on the field.   By NO means is the score EVER mentioned.  This needs to be made perfectly clear because I never know who reads this stuff and my freedom is important to me.

It was a great game, Green Bay all the way with the Steelers staying right on their heels, but in my mind the outcome was never in doubt.  I knew the secret.

Green Bay has had a football team for a very long time.  Over its history there have been forty-four starting quarterbacks who's combined effors have produced fourteen Superbowl appearances. That's a remarkable record for such a small place.  Now, are you ready for the secret?

Of the forty-four quarterbacks, three have double letters in their names and those three are Bart Starr, Brett Favre, and Aaron Rodgers.   What do all three of these quarterbacks have in common besides the double letters?  They're all Superbowl winners!

I should have flown to Vegas with my entire bank account the day I heard Aaron Rodgers was gonna play for Green Bay in the Superbowl.  The Green Bay victory was assured.

No comments:

Post a Comment