Monday, September 5, 2011

Bar-B-Que

That's the American thing to do on Labor Day. BBQ.  Vacation's over for many of the youngsters starting tomorrow morning and it's back to work for most of the rest of us.  The fortunate ones of us who still have needed jobs, that is.

But this post is about BBQ, not jobs.  We in this household managed to sort of BBQ today.  After assembling and hanging the rain gutter parts I bought the other day, I still managed to find the time to fire up the ol' grill.  Of course, there was not enough time to use it properly, all I did was steam a bunch of asparagus on it. 

I broke the spears in half and tossed the ugly part.  Then put the tips on a sheet of tin foil, added half a ton of butter, sprinkled Lemon Pepper over everything, and then sealed the foil.  It then went on the upper tray on the BBQ for 20 minutes.  Steamed asparagus - an epicurean delight.

Had I taken the same care with the rest of the meal I could claim to be a chef and make six or seven dollars an hour.  But instead all I did was heat up some left over Lasagna in the microwave.  It's a pity, but at least the kitchen didn't cause the whole house to overheat this afternoon, and that was the plan all along.

Just because I have no clue how to celebrate Labor Day, it doesn't mean my friends suffer the same lack of class.  They know how to do it right. 
All my old buddies in Los Alamos hung signs around town the first part of last week letting everybody know they were gonna give free airplane rides to kids between the ages of eight and seventeen.  They all gathered at the airport today and gave rides to more than 90 kids this morning.


I used to participate in this free flight thing, in fact I was in charge of Chapter 691's program for many years.  My first ride was free, and I tried to pay back the guy who gave it to me so many years ago by passing it on.  That's me, several years ago, along with a first timer and my trusted wings, "The Bumble Bee."  Black and yellow, get it?  Part of the first ride includes a little knowledge, and here I was explaining how the various control surfaces worked before we departed.

We all belong to a nationwide group of pilots , the Experimental Aircraft Association,  and since 1992 the group has given more than 1.6 million kids a ride.  Honorary chairmen have included Gen. Chuck Yeager, Harrison Ford, and now "Sully" Sullenberger. 

After they flew every kid who showed up, they all gathered at Jeff's hanger and fired up several BBQ's.  That's the way it should be done.  Several BBQ's, a ton of friends and family, and a good cause to boot.  I'm bettting there were several gatherings that equalled this one today, but none that exceeded it. 

Well done, guys.  I'm also betting you inspired a future pilot or two today.  And for sure the cow did not die in vain!






13 comments:

  1. What a perfect way to wrap up this Labor Day Weekend. And what a wonderful thing to do for kids. You EAA guys are a pretty cool bunch. I remember going up with someone from work -- back in the 60s when I worked for Boeing in Huntsville. The pilot insisted on demonstrating the "stall" or whatever you call it when you shut off the engine and scare the bejesus out of the passengers. It was my first -- and last -- time in a small plane. First broccoli and now asparagus. I'm impressed, Forrest. You're practically a vegetarian ... except for the occasional SPAM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. B L First, let me apologize to you. The jerk you rode with was an absolute idiot and does not deserve to be in the fraternity. I hope he was not a relative. He certainly was not a pilot - we save those things for when we are by ourselves. There are two types of flying, one is with a lower case "f" and the other with an upper case "F" The upper case is saved for a select few who are comfortable in the plane, and it'll beat the tar out of any roller coaster you've ever experienced anywhere.

    One of these days you'll have to try it again, and be sure you're with a mature pilot - not a jerk with a license. They do not administer IQ tests when qualifying for one - they should.

    The veggies are for the one I love. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the "one you love" enjoyed the steamed asparagus very much. Thanks for the picture of you and the Bee. It's great to see someone we care about in their element.
    Love the Blogs.....Ba

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ba - Hummm - Let me guess. You enjoy Southern France?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Sir....Especially on a sailboat.....Ba

    ReplyDelete
  6. That explains it - I thought we were under attack! Those guys were up there non-stop. As you know, my house is directly under the path of most flights from LA International so I got to hear and see who's coming and going. But these guys were circling the area over and over so I figured they were just trying to burn up some gas. Had I paid attention, I could have dug out my old HS id, dyed my hair, lost about 50 lbs and tried to pass as 17 for a free ride. Must have been a lot of fun for those kids. JR

    ReplyDelete
  7. JR - Good to hear from you. I hope all is under control in your household. I'll try to get the guys to carry 4 ounce sacks of flour with them the next time they fly. It'll add to the experience if the kids toss them out over your house. Red roof, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nah, the one right next to it with the detached garage, oops, I mean, yeaah, red roof.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is hope for you yet JR. In 2012, in addition to flying kids under the Young Eagles program, we will start doing introductory rides for adults under a program we have been directed not to call "Old Buzzards". :o)

    My experience on my second ride was very typical with kids. This boy was very quiet and a bit sullen. I asked him a few questions and got some very unenthusiastic one syllable answers. We got in the plane, taxied out, and launched. Before we were 100 feet off the runway the boy was yelling in the intercom "Wow! This is so cool!!!" Every one of them leaves the plane with a big smile, which is why we do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeff:... and the high sounding "Senior Soaring" might be confused with "Senior Snoring" which wouldn't be a good thing when airborne, especially for the pilot. I'll be looking for the announcement. JR

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man. I miss you guys. The wit is beyond my wildest longings. Jr - I'll gladly pass along news of the next event. Jeff - Prepare yourself, buddy JR's a really big guy and I want him to ride in the Grizzly Cub. OK?

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK. We don't have to wait for the program. Just find me at the airport most any weekend.

    ReplyDelete