Thursday, August 18, 2011

Volunteer

Carolyn's mom was in a hospice program for the last few weeks of her life, and that occurred during a period starting not quite two months ago.  It ended when she died on the 22nd. of last month.  We spent as much time with her and Carolyn's sister as was possible, and met all the kind people, paid and volunteers, who were associated with the hospice organization.  These everyday folks, some of whom freely donated their time, made the way home easy for Carolyn's mom. 

As the days went by, we got to know them better and they got to know us.  The day before Lucy passed one of the volunteers, Mike, pulled me to the side for a talk.

"Forrest," he said, "Lucy isn't going to last very much longer.  I'm gonna have about four hours a week of free time when she goes, and want to know if there is anything I can do to help you and Carolyn."

I told him Carolyn was far from qualifying for any hospice program - she still has a life expectancy of four to six years.  Then I told him our level of income did not allow us to participate in any other program of which I was aware.

 "We should have enjoyed our money as we got it instead of setting it aside for later, Mike.  Now we have plenty for the two of us but not enough to afford the $3200 every month it takes just to provide someone to help with her during the night,and the more than double that it will take during her final years."

"I'm doing all I can while she is still relatively easy to care for, and saving our cash for when it is more than I can handle.  They can't take my income from me, but I'm afraid everything else is fair game and I'm pretty much gonna be broke by the time all this is over.  Don't worry, we're OK for now, and will be fine."

Mike then told me of something the agency he volunteers with does.  They call the program "Transitions", and it's designed just for people like us.  A terminally ill patient with too much money for government help but not enough for sufficient care, and with only a single caregiver is just the candidate they look to find.  "You fit the bill," he said, "And if you let me, I'll tell my supervisor about you two."

He's a man of his word, and three days later the RN who oversees the "Transitions" program was sitting on our small couch across the room from us and filling in the forms she had brought with her.  As she was finishing up and getting ready to leave she said, "Ya know, it's not often I find myself in this situation.  Mostly my office is filled with people looking for help and I have none to offer.  It's different with you two - Mike came to me and said he wanted to help you.  Not someone else that he doesn't know, but you.  You're very fortunate - he's one of my best."

This afternoon was his first day on "our" job.  He came in, I showed him where everything was and he shooed me out of the house with my shopping list.  "Take your time - I'll be here until five o'clock, and we're already family." 

For the first time in six months I was able to take my time.  I did not worry that Carolyn was alone and might fall with no one there to pick her up.  I bought all we will need until next Thursday, when he returns, and even stopped at the library and picked up a book I've been meaning to read.

Mike has said he'll be with us four hours a week for as long as we need him, and I believe it.  As he was leaving today I told him I could never repay him for what he was doing for us.  "But." I said, "I can repay the favor you are doing for us.  And I will."

You bet I will.  I know just which RN to contact when it's my time to volunteer.







 

4 comments:

  1. There are plenty of good people in the world, and you are one of them. So glad to hear this came together for you. Reminds me of that "Pay it Forward" movie from awhile back. Take good care. P.S. Tonight is Spam night (gulp).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best news I've heard all week. Good for you for planning to volunteer, too.

    Whenever I hear someone say, "There aren't enough jobs for everyone in America," I spit up my Cream 'o Wheat. There are plenty of jobs for people like Mike; just, somehow there's no money to pay for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, B L. How was the Spam? Don't think I ever tried it baked with mashed potatoes. But I will!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boomer. There is plenty of work and enough money to pay for it to be performed. And, both of us know where all the money went, don't we? Problem is by the time it trickles down from them to us it's kinda warm and yellow in color.

    ReplyDelete