Friday, June 27, 2014

Pictures from a Shipmate

I've been operating with a handicap while writing much of this series of posts.  My camera was out of juice for a day or so until I noticed one of the guys had brought a gizzmo which allowed his to be recharged using 12V DC current.  He graciously allowed all of us to use it.  Also, for several days, my camera went missing.  All told, there were three and a half days I did not take pictures.  Joe, the diver, came to my rescue today.  My mailbox was full of images.  I'll share a bunch with you folks.

This first picture was taken as Doc prepared to cast off the last of the lines securing us to the dock in Blue Lagoon, SVG, where the voyage began.  I'm watching and standing ready to catch the doubled line when he tosses it.  Andato's engine is fired, the transmission is in neutral; all in readiness to begin the adventure.  At right we're on our way!  Joe is ready to take over for Doc in case of a heart attack or Rapture.  For sure the good Doctor will be the one called by the Lord to be taken away; Joe, Capt'n Chris and I will be left behind.
                                                                               



Here are a couple that were taken at our first port of call, Admiralty Bay,  Bequia, SVG.  Of course the first was taken as the Sun rose over the mountains on the east side of the bay, from where the wind also arrived to fill our sails.  The lower one is typical of the spectacular setting Sun we witnessed every night.  Pictures can not capture the glorious sight but it is forever etched behind my retina.  I call it to mind by closing my eyes, clicking my heels three times and saying "There's no place like Bequia....."

Our senses were on overload for most of the entire trip.  If ever you have an opportunity to visit this part of our beautiful planet, DO IT!  If you are uncomfortable with the idea of sailing yourself, there are companies that will provide qualified Captains and crews to sail the boat.  All that is required of you is a pair of open eyes and the ability to get out of your favorite chair at home.  Seriously, it's worth whatever sacrifice you may have to make.  Give up grocery shopping for several months if that's what it takes.  There is a ton of canned food in lots of food banks across the country: do what it takes to see the beautiful world God gave us.


 Doc's not gonna let that wheel get away from him on our way to Tabago Cays.  Looks like he's braced for a hurricane but in reality he's just recovering from being goosed by Capt'n Chris, who for some unexplained reason is riding the transom.  Oh yeah,  Now I remember.  We had forgotten to haul the swim ladder up from last night's showers.  Dragging it in the water was knocking a half knot off our speed.  Knowing only a bunch of flakes would leave it down, the Capt'n decided to stow it himself.  I'm sure he thought it was the best way to prevent a man overboard situation.

My standard stance was not much more relaxed at the start of the trip.  I was much more used to a tiller as was, I believe, Doc.  Both of us became more comfortable as the days passed.  Joe, on the other hand, was a natural.  He could steer a steady course, eat a sandwich and take a leak all at the same time.  Some guys have it, others don't.

As we approached the Tabago Cays from the west, there was a narrow channel which we negotiated under power.  The lighter blue water to the left in this picture is a bit too shallow for our 6 foot deep keel.  The Capt'n steered us in: he trusted me to get us out in the morning.  It was the only time I had little faith in his judgement.  I was sure I'd put us on the beach.  I was  wrong.

We anchored at one of the most popular destinations in all of St. Vincent and The Grenadines, the marine sanctuary.  Boats flying the flags of twelve different nations were visible from our deck.  I never realized just how many people from around the world were actively involved with cruising the world's oceans.


We  next sailed southwest to avoid the open Atlantic and passed between Union Island and Palm Island, where we turned to a mostly southerly heading in order to gain Petit St. Vincent.  Like Palm Island, it is privately owned and is home to a pricy resort.  Being the least exclusive of the two, cruisers are allowed ashore to buy drinks at the palm-thatched roof bar a hundred yards or so from the dock.  The rest of the island is off limits to the less fortunate of humanity.

I have a mind to come back to this island one day with a Ninja Warrior kit.  I'll don black clothing, paint my face to match a moonless night and engage in a bit of unnoticed trespass.

After docking the boat and buying ice in Petit Martinique we turned to the north and started the trip back to Bequia and then the Blue Lagoon in St. Vincent, where we would finish the voyage.   The first stop on the way was Chatham Bay on the west side of Union Island.  Joe just had to be sure his finger covered part of the picture, the only mistake he made during the entire voyage to date.  (If you don't count not putting enough mayo on my sandwich)


Joe's contribution to this tale is now up to date, and I'll add his camera work to the posts that follow as the story unfolds.   Once again, sunset's are magnificent in the Caribbean, and Joe's camera captured another one, this time from Chatham Bay.








   











3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures, Cap'n. Such a big wheel. Yikes! Is she hard to steer with just the tiller? I would think. Great interlude and hopefully ... soon ... back to the story ... without notations of "taking a leak" ... or perhaps that is simply my gentile sensibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOS - Most of us "take a leak" at least several times a day. It's just a fact of nature. This really happened, I watched as Joe tied off the wheel with a sandwich in his left hand and turned to the transom and relieved himself. His course was true. Could I do that? Not in a million years!

    ReplyDelete